Vata: Human Nature’s Action
Vata is the law that governs movement in the body, vital energy and mind. Vata manifests on earth through the air and space elements, which are of low density and thus accommodate the movement of vata.
The Vata dosha is the most important of the three doshas. Vata is the main driver or mover of the body, working with the other two doshas. If Vata becomes imbalanced it can easily imbalance the Pitta and Kapha doshas.
Vata provides the following functions:
- Controls all of the various movements of body (both physical and mental), e.g. respiration, heart beat, motivation and contraction of
- Controls all eliminations: fetus, semen, feces, urine, sweat, etc.
- Assists with all the various metabolisms in the body (called Agni in Ayurveda)
- Relays all sensory input from the various sense organs to the brain
The primary seat or location of the Vata in the body is the colon.
Vata also governs such feelings and emotions as freshness, nervousness, fear, anxiety, pain, tremors, and spasms. The actions of Vata are drying, cooling, light, agitating, and moving.
Here are some of the common characteristics of people who have a predominantly Vata constitution.
- Creativity, mental quickness
- Highly imaginative
- Quick to learn and grasp new knowledge, but also quick to forget
- Slenderness; lightest of the three body types
- Talk and walk quickly
- Tendency toward cold hands and feet, discomfort in cold climates
- Excitable, lively, fun personality
- Changeable moods and irregular daily routine
- Variable appetite and digestive efficiency
- High energy in short bursts; tendency to tire easily and to overexert
- Full of joy and enthusiasm when in balance, but respond to stress with fear, worry, and anxiety, especially when out of balance
- Tendency to act on impulse and often have racing, disjointed thoughts
- Generally have dry skin and dry hair and don't perspire much
Individuals more connected to the Vata dosha have the qualities of softness, lightness and subtlety.
Must be the incantation
- Sri Chinmoy
Learn more about